Thursday, February 5, 2015

Teaching Cloth Diaper 101


This past weekend I taught my first cloth diapering class at my local children's consignment store, Grow With Me Boutique!

Grow With Me Boutique is very quickly becoming the go-to location for anything cloth diaper related - she's stocking up on multiple different brands and accessories so it seemed appropriate to help educate our community about the benefits of cloth diapering as well as show parents how easy it is to cloth diaper.

When I was initially looking into cloth diapering I was so overwhelmed with all the different options and didn't have a location close to me where I could actual hold a diaper to see how they worked exactly. We bloggers try our best to show off the features of each diaper we review, but sometimes you just gotta hold it in your hands and have a person talk to you face to face about what it is. With this in mind, I created my "lesson plan" and Grow With Me set up the event!

I was thinking that a group of 6-8 would be perfect; more than I could ask for. As the date to the class grew closer the attendance count kept ticking up and soon over two dozen were signed up to come!

My goal of the class was to introduce the different styles of cloth and to show everyone that every family is unique so there is no "right" way to cloth diaper. I started by giving a brief overview of the different styles of cloth as well as their pros/cons:
  • prefolds and flats with covers
  • all in ones
  • all in twos
  • pockets
  • fitteds
I also covered accessories, wash basics and a little bit of trouble shooting. Some of the attendees were already experienced in cloth diapering so it was great to have them share their experiences, such as while I use the dry pail method, two other moms shared that they use wet pails and why it works for them. It was a great open discussion with tons of questions and it made the time just fly by. I was also able to give out samples of Rockin Green, Country Save, Motherlove Herbals, Earth Angel Mama Baby and Planet Wise even sponsored two prizes!

We also had a special guest appearance; my own "cloth diaper community star," Amy the owner of Buttons Diapers. Amy and I have worked together several times, through my own Buttons Diapers reviews and at the Mommie Mixer in 2013. She's somewhat local to me so it was fun to have her come visit and for a couple customers get to meet her.

It had been several years since I've taught a class so it was fun and refreshing to jump in again. I hope I'll get to do it another time soon!

Connect with Grow With Me Boutique 
to find more cloth diapering resources for Snohomish County!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the kind words Bianca. We were so thankful for your willingness to participate. What a great turnout we had. Looking forward to future events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the class! It was nice learning about the different types of diapers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would have been so helpful when I was getting started. I have had to slowly learn everything and still learning new things everyday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. We love cloth diapers here. Out favorite are Softbums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really awesome thing to do! I think so many more people would CD if they knew more about it!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...