Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dark Hope: A young adult novel fit for busy mamas!


I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for easy reads. The list of books that I've read since college have been The Twilight series, The Hunger Games series, Fifty Shades of Gray and The Help. You can't really blame me, the last 2 1/2 years have been full of nursing babes, pregnancy and toddler play time. Delving into deep reads that scour the depths of my soul just can't happen when I get 5-10 minute snippets of time to read!

So a few weeks ago I picked up Dark Hope (the first book of the Archangel Prophecies), by Monica McGurk, and I was intrigued. I like a mix of paranormal in my reading, and the twist of biblical history was a new genre for me so I gave it a shot.

Dark Hope is about Hope, a high school girl who was abducted in childhood but somehow the authorities were mysteriously led to her whereabouts and she was saved in just the knick of time. Fast forward to the present and we see Hope as she acclimates to her new high school after living with her overly protective dad. She meets Michael, a dream boat who actually wants to be her friend and has this protective aura about him. Sounds familiar? If you liked Twilight & the unassuming heroine role, this book will draw you in.

What thickens the plot deeper is Hope's entanglement in Atlanta's child trafficking underworld (could this be in connection to her own abduction?) and her father's biblical teachings (read: rantings) start to make more sense. Finally, Hope discovers the truth about Michael and his place in her life...and nothing is ever the same again.

Oooooooh boy, it's so hard not to spoil this for you guys! I can't wait for the rest of the series! This book draws you in, but it's also a fast, easy read so even us busy moms can fit in a few pages here and there. At first I felt that maybe I was a little "too old" for this book, Hope doesn't even drive yet, but I promise that by page 90 (uhm.. that may be a hint..but don't read too ahead!) you'll be happy that you invested the time!


Who wants to win a copy of Dark Hope: Book One of the Archangel Prophecies (ARV $13.99)? Comment below with your recent favorite young adult easy read and I will pick a winner on Monday Sept 8 at 12:00 (noon) PST . (Open to US only)


I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving The Testing trilogy - book 3 just came out this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really good! I am going to add it to my ever growing 'to read' pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to give this a read! I haven't bought a book on my reader in a while. I know what you mean about never having the time!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...